Saturday, September 13, 2014

Biicado Touch Pro - CAD for iPad/iPhone that works! Perhaps something for you?




The iPad is the perfect portable device for writing, simple photo- and video editing, web surfing, education and a lot of other things. In my case it has replaced the computer for some 90% or so, a figure that would increase if I had an AirPrint-printer, and more memory in my iPad. Recently it fills another "need" for me - technical drafting. Thanks to BiiCADo Touch Pro:



BiiCADo, showing magnifying window and snap point - iPad mini screenshot




While it's no match against say AutoCad 3D, BiiCADo Touch Pro is still a very competent tool for creating technical drawings in 2D. It sports layers, colors, snap points, ISO-standard measurements, the usual tools like move, trim, radius, grid and much more. You can export DXF or PDF by mail or Dropbox. If you are used to working with programs like AutoCad 2D, Solid Edge 2D or Draftsite you will quickly pick up Biicado Touch. You really can make professional quality drawings with the help of this app.


I'm not going to attempt a tutorial here, but you can be sure this is a potent application that packs a lot for the price! The drawing and manipulating tools are real tools, not some halfway-there effort made to separate you from your cash. This is a real CAD app.


It took some time for me to find it as there are a lot of apps that claim to be "the best" in AppStore. Well, I'm not missing anything since I bought this one. A good stylus helps though, but that's more a thing with the tablet format than this app in particular. I use the iPad mini, and while it's lightweight and compact I think the larger iPads would be easier to draft with - bigger is better when it comes to screen size. But if you favour light and small the mini works well. And I don't even have the retina display!



A useful feature I'd like to mention that works very well is the way Biicado Touch handles drafting and selecting points. Instead of trying to hit the exact point where you, say, would like to start a line, you tap and hold the screen until a magnifying window appears (it appears quickly), then you slide to the point you want with the aid of the magnifier and crosshairs and then lift your finger to select it. Sounds confusing? It's not, just select your tool, tap and slide into position and release when you are there. It's a very clever and precise way, and if you two-finger move or pinch zoom while you are drafting, the current tool pauses, and you just tap-and-slide to resume right where you left off. That way you can draw a line right across a large drawing without zooming out, you can two-finger move several times while drafting the same line or using any other tool.
The magnifying window is actually rather necessary since your finger or stylus is blocking the view most of the time. Clever idea, nonetheless!

You also tap-and-slide to select a start point and then enter lengths, angles, radiuses (depends on what tool you are using) and so on using the input field at the bottom and the keyboard. Or even enter the start point coordinates and everything else without doing any tapping and sliding.


The snap function can be set to your liking or turned off completely if it interfers with your style of drafting. You can turn on or off snap for different points independently of each other. You can set grid snapping units as well, helpful if you want whole number coordinates for objects.


I had an issue with the "move" and "rename" functions not working, but after contacting BAST, the Germans, there was an update a week later that fixed it. Way to go, these are serious guys!



Those of you that know CAD will find Biicado Touch a great tool, but if you only want to make sketches or simple room plans this might not be for you. If you've never used CAD-programs before you might be put off by the learning curve. I find Biicado Touch to be the perfect companion to SketchUp for my needs. Having access to real CAD in a very portable and lightweight format is a winner for me!


UPDATE 13 september 2014:

I have found a few minor bugs and contacted BAST about them. Very fast response and nice guys to deal with. Thumbs up! Biicado will get even better by the next update!




15 comments:

  1. how do you turn off autosnap when placing a line on another line, and you don't want the line to automaticaly move itself to a snap area, this is very frustrating, when trying to draw accurately in between snap areas.

    Thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that is annoying! One way is to draw a line on top of that line, with an endpoint where you want to draw the new line. That way you are sure the lines connect. You can also draw a small line that crosses the other line so you have an intersection where you can snap the new line to. Then you simply delete the small extra line again. This is better than lines on top of each other because that messes up midpoints, which can get you later on. Not fun to draw several hours and then find out you used the wrong midpoint an hour ago!

    Or, you can look for the tool button that looks a little like a mixer board - a square with some tall crosses in it. Tap that button, and swipe to the "Osnap" button and tap that. Now you are in a menu where you can turn the snap feature on and off for end points, midpoints and so on.

    I keep the Osnap on all the time and make points or intersections as I described above. It's a little more work at first but it gives you 100% control of where lines start and end! You can add a layer where you make all these extra lines and call it "construction" or something like that. All you have to do is turn that layer off before you print your drawing.

    Please feel free to comment again if I didn't explain well enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou for your quick reply,
    You explained it very well.

    It's nice to know that the disabling of snaps feature is available should it need to be used.

    I'm use to the computer cads, I need to approach learning how to use (app) cads the way I learned computer cads.
    I need to start from scratch and experiment until I find workarounds to do the things I want to do with the program features.
    I'll look into utilizing your method with this as I get more familiar with this cad program.

    Thanks again for your helpful reply.

    ReplyDelete
  4. QUOTE" You can also draw a small line that crosses the other line so you have an intersection where you can snap the new line to. Then you simply delete the small extra line again. "

    Very very helpful idea,

    I just got done playing around with this to learn the features, I'm starting to get the hang of it real well, it just takes a little patience, but once you get into a routine of trim and extend, placing positioning lines as described above, experimenting with the rotation and things, its just like learning any other cad program, I need to just take it one step at a time, experimenting with all the different features, until I get the routines ,of each step to take to succesfully work this cad program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I use that method all the time. I usually make the "construction"-layer red to help me see clearly what lines are the extra ones. Sometimes I start with a vertical line on the far left side with heights marked as short crossing lines, and a horizontal line at the bottom with lengths marked as short crossing lines. Then I can extend help lines from those intersections to help me place objects where I want them. That helps me erect structures in the way I build them, if I know where a window is supposed to be I measure from a corner and from a base height. So for me it's natural to make drawings the same way. I also do like that when I'm using CAD on a computer, I "build" the drawing with help lines from a known point. You can do the same in SketchUp, draw lines from the origin point to get an end point where you want to place an object. Then you select a handle on the object and snap it to that end point, and then you have 100% control where you put it.

      For me, this is the same way I would measure with a tape measure and put a mark before nailing a framing member in place.

      Delete
  5. I'm trying to use the trim and explode functions on an arc and I can't get it to work. how do you trim an arc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to shoot a little video later tonight, it's easier to show it! Just wait a little and check back, I'll post the link here!

      Delete
  6. I downloaded biiCADo yesterday & am very pleased with its capabilities. I am currently working on a 30 scale drawing. Any hints on how to enter a scale? All of my linetypes are too small and print/display as solid lines. In AutoCAD the command is "ltscale" but I can't find anything similar in biiCADo. Please advise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      Scale: To be honest, I’m not sure how to do that like in Autocad. I prefer to make the drawing the size the part is supposed to be, and that scale text and frame until it ”looks right” on the finished drawing. I’m probably a lot less skilled at drawing than you…

      When I draw I think in exact measurements, probably because I am used to making things - a am a carpenter / welder / machinist. If the part is X mm I draw it X mm, and scale the frame and dimension text to fit. So if I make a drawing of a 5 steel ball, the circle on the print will be 5 mm on the drawing. The frame around it will be something like 10 mm, the text on the dimensions 0.2 mm or so.

      There is a setting for scale on the dimensions. If you tap the icon that looks a bit like a mixer board with sliders, then ”Dim/Style”, then the circled arrow on ”ISO-25” up left in the menu, then select ”Fit” and you will find a ”Dim-Factor global”-setting. This will scale your dimensions up or down. This can also be changed if you edit a dimension you’ve already drawn, just tap edit (the square with a pen in t) and the select a dimension on the drawing. You probably have to adjust the text height too to make it right on the print.

      I’ll try to make a youtube video later on, but I don’t have the time right now. Sorry about that.

      You can scale a drawn object up or down by tapping the scale button on the right and then selecting objects. But that messes up the dimensions! In my example of the 5 mm ball, lets say I draw it 5mm and then scale it up four times. If I put dimensions on it they will say 20 mm because I just made the circle four times bigger by scaling it. Thats why I like to draw things the way they are and then adjust dimensions, text and frame to fit even if that means that they are some weird size.

      Lines: If you make layers for each line type you’ll be drawing, you can set line weights and types for each layer. Tap settings (the mixer board looking square), then ”Layer” to the left and you can set up different layers. I have a layer for hidden geometry where I have set a dashed line and different color. When you print or save as PDF, make sure to set ”Print options” to ”with line weights” - otherwise your carefully selected line types will never make it to the finished print :-)

      Hope I’ve been of some help, feel free to ask again if I wasn’t clear enough!

      Regards, J

      Delete
  7. If you draw a square or rectangle and decide to modify the dimensions of one or both sides, how is this done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay - here is a quick video on Youtube showing two ways of modifying a square: https://youtu.be/k7qYIQ9Rfz8

      Delete
  8. You tap edit, the square with a pen. Select the rectangle, "Specify objects". That will bring up the properties window. Under "Geometry" you will find Vertex 1 with +- buttons next to it.

    A square in biiCADo is a polyline, four points connected with straight lines. Each point has a X and Y-coordinate. You move these corner points, Vertex 1 through 4, to change the dimensions. You can also turn the square into a different shape by moving the points assymetrically. Trapezoid and so on.

    I myself prefer to draw squares and rectangles by connecting four straight lines rather than use the "Rectangle"-tool. But thats just my way :)

    I will try to make a video for Youtube later on to show you what I mean!

    Have a great day! /J

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well presented essay writing is a vital craft to help you win at school and university exams, however it is surprising how difficult it is to get guidance on how to write a winning essay. Students are often left feeling let down when they receive a marked essay back from their lecturer, with no clear indication as to how they are to improve. Here are some pointers to help you improve your essays. essay writing

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am interested in this CAD program to create plans for personal use; garden designs, room designs etc. I have used many CAD programs in the past but am no longer a career draftsman. Nor do I want to buy an AutoCAD subscription. Are any of you still using this program or can you recommend a different 2D CAD App for iPad Pro? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Questions? Requests? Please, go ahead and leave your comment here!