Monday, April 6, 2015

Linocell Elite Extreme Glass Screen protector - it works! ...and their quality control doesn´t?


I got tired of bubbly, scratched up plastic screen protectors on my iPhone, so when I got my new iPhone 5s I decided to try a glass one. It´s more expensive so hesitated a bit - after all the Linocell Extreme Glass screen protector is like 20 times the price of the cheaper plastic films.

But I bought one and put it on. One thing I noticed was that it was easy to get a perfect result. Included in the package is a piece of sticky film that you use to remove dust from the screen before you put the glass on. If you have a light colored surface in front of you and look at your phone at an angle its easy to see every speck of dust on the screen. Once the screen is as clean as possible you drop the glass in place and watch as it adheres to the screen.

Take care to line the glass up well. A tip is to center the home button and while holding the top end up a few mm away from the screen, press and bend the glass gently so it sticks around the home button. Then, while maintaining pressure around the button hole, align the top edges and let that end go so it gently snaps down against the screen. It can be a bit fiddly to move the top end sideways as you probably have to release the bottom end a bit. You´ll get there!

A tip is to do this in the bathroom after somebody has taken a shower as that cleans the air. And if the floor is wet that also lowers the amount of dust in the air. Fluffing around a towel does not. Its a balance...



Back to the reason I write this:




Busted screen? Nope, busted Linocell Glass! - iPad mini, some cropping


I fumbled and dropped my phone and, of course mr Murphy, it landed face down on the ground. And the asphalt was covered with coarse sand left from the winter season. Nice point impact.

I guess the saying is true, "The value of an item can be very different from the price paid for it"! In my case a 20-dollar screen protector saved my iPhone screen. 


However. After dropping my phone I bought two Linocell Extreme protectors, one for me and one for the wife, and the wifes one had this included:



Not so neat looking huh? - iPhone 5s, some cropping and adjusting 


And this is what it looks like through the loupe:



A grain of sand? - iPhone 5s + 10x loupe, cropped


Looking real close it looks like a small grain of something found its way between the glass and the adhesive film. Oh btw, they advertise this screen protector as 0.26mm thick, but that is just the glass. Add the adhesive film and you get 0,40mm instead. Not much difference but worth mentioning.

Here´s the great part: I contacted the vendor by email and they promptly sent me a new one free of charge. Thats the way costumer support is supposed to work! I bought these at Kjell & Company (in Swedish). In all situations like this it helps to take pictures and include them in the email. It makes things easier for the costumer support and it helps you get help faster.


The sum of it all: I´m real happy about this screen protector. Being glass it feels just like the original screen, and it doesn´t scratch as easily as plastic films. And since it has already saved me a screen swap, I´d say its earned its keep!



Update november 2015: I´ve bought several glass screen protector since this post was written. I´ve found them for as little as $8 sold under differet names. But the product seems so similar it makes me think they are all made in the same factory in China...

I´ve dropped my iPhone three times now breaking the screen protector. I actually had my iPhone 5s replaced since I dropped it into my ultrasonic cleaner while filming a clip for Youtube. Ooops! Luckily enough insurance covered most of the cost.



"The value of an item can be very different from the price paid for it". Word!




9 comments:

  1. Well worth the 20 dollars you paid for it, no? And that’s a nice response time by the store that sold you the screen protector. It’s really best to have one as soon as you buy your phone, so you won’t regret it later on when it slips from your hand by accident. Anyway, I hope your phone is still in great shape. Good day!

    Brian Hopkins @ Microtips USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, well worth the 179 SEK I paid for it! I agree that one should have one as soon as possible. My phone is a bit ragged from the latest fall but I'm kind of over it. It felt weird using my pedestal grinder on my iPhone but it made a big difference. Kjell & Company has great customer support!

      Delete
  2. But what about temoving the screen protector? Easy? No marks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. It can be a little tricky to get it to "let go" - you kinda have to pull on it with the finger nails under the edge, and keep pulling until it loosens. If the protector is broken it will fracture some more, so be prepared for som glass shards. Perhaps do it over an old newspaper so it's easy to clean up.

      But when it lets go it just peels off like a post-it note. And no residues, just like the post-it. It's really not glued in place, there is only the sticky film between the glass surfaces.

      Have a great day!

      Regards /J

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good protector functions. Since the advantages of the wear resistance and hardness of the tempered glass, the mobile phone can obtain a excellent protection. Good protection can extend the useful life of our mobile phones. LeMoTong screen protector factory can do it. Custom Tempered Glass Screen Protector Manufacturers Wholesale China- LMT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enthralled by the writer’s ability to write in this magnificent way.
    best-screen-protector-galaxy-s8

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Questions? Requests? Please, go ahead and leave your comment here!